A hospital created for the community
Phelps County Regional Medical Center’s rich historical background began in 1949 as a grassroots effort among residents in Rolla and the surrounding communities to build a much-needed local medical facility. Through philanthropic efforts by community businesses and area residents, construction of the Phelps Regional Memorial Hospital, as it was called in the early years, was completed on ground donated by the Rolla Lions Club and opened to the public in March 1951.
Phelps Regional Memorial Hospital was a symbol of pride for the community. Upon opening, the Rolla Daily News reported, “Its [Phelps Regional Memorial Hospital] completion represents a long-cherished hope of many hundreds of persons of the county. It stands today as a tribute to hard work and sacrifice on the part of persons with enough civic pride and enough interest in health and welfare for themselves and their fellows to work and fight for such a facility.”
World-class healthcare facility
PCRMC has grown from a small, country hospital to the world-class facility it is today, employing a staff of over 1,700 and licensed for 242 patient beds. The PCRMC Physicians Group has over 130 providers and offers over 30 physician specialty services. In addition to the main Rolla campus, the PCRMC Physicians Group also has primary care and women’s health clinics in St. James, Cuba, Salem, Vienna and Waynesville.
PCRMC prides itself on community service and investment and offers programs and activities to the community that promotes educational resources to the public. Areas of community benefit include charity and/or uncompensated care, community outreach services, health professional education and community group donations.